Emergency Services | How to Make an Appointment | Maps & Directions | Site Map | Home

Intimate Partner Violence 

Creating a Safety Plan


What is Safety Planning?





Safety planning is something you do to help yourself feel and be "safe" when you are being hurt or afraid of being hurt.


The following guidelines come from the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence:



If you are still in the relationship:


1. Think of a safe place to go if an argument occurs - avoid rooms with no exits (bathroom), or rooms with weapons (kitchen).

2. Think about and make a list of safe people to contact.

3. Keep change with you at all times.

4. Memorize all important numbers.

5. Establish a "code word or sign" so that family, friends, teachers or co-workers know when to call for help.

6. Think about what you will say to your partner if he/she becomes violent.

7. Remember you have the right to live without fear and violence.

8. Have a set of clothes for yourself and for your children stored at a friend's house or at work in the event you need to flee your house.

9. Keep sets of important documents (savings account records/check books/safety deposit keys), birth certificates, school records, deeds, other legal documents) away from your house in a safe place that only you can access.




If you have left the relationship:


1. Change your phone number.

2. Screen calls.

3. Save and document all contacts, messages, injuries or other incidents involving your significant other.

4. Change locks, if the batterer has a key.

5. Avoid staying alone.

6. Plan how to get away if confronted by an abusive partner.

7. If you have to meet your partner, do it in a public place with a family member or friend close by or present.

8. Vary your routine.

9. Notify school and work contacts.

10. Call UCI Campus Assault Resources and Education at (949) 824-7273 or the Orange County Domestic Violence Assistance Program at (714) 935-7956


Often these programs have cell phones directly linked to 911 that you can carry for your protection.  If you leave the relationship or are thinking of leaving, you should take important papers and documents with you to enable you to apply for benefits or take legal action. Important papers you should take include social security cards and birth certificates for you and your children, your marriage license, leases or deeds in your name or both yours and your partner's names, your checkbook, your charge cards, bank statements and charge account statements, insurance policies, proof of income for you and your spouse (pay stubs or W-2's), and any documentation of past incidents of abuse (photos, police reports, medical records, etc.)



Create your personal safety plan - You are the expert on your life.  Your own experience is the best tool in planning for your safety. 


To ensure that your Safety Plan is secure, please do not save the filename as Safety Plan.  Save it with a not so obvious filename or save it in a safe and secure location.  For added security add a password that you will easily remember.    Keep in mind that strong passwords combine upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols.   Use a strong password that you can remember so that you don't have to write it down.



Download Safety Plans


On Campus With Children - Word

On Campus With Children - PDF


On Campus Without Children - Word

On Campus Without Children - PDf


Off Campus With Children - Word

Off Campus With Children - PDF


Off Campus Without Children - Word

Off Campus Without Children - PDF